This is the first weekend I have had the trailer and I got to work right away. My dad had a wire brush attachment for the drill hanging around in the garage, so I used that to start tackling the rather large job of removing all the surface rust.
But before I could even do that, there were some bolts/metal plates in the way that were serving no purpose what so ever. We figured they use to be tie down attachments that were cut off at some point. Because they were unmovable piles of rust, I had dad showed me how to cut the bolt heads off using a hand held grinder. The key is not to be afraid of the flying sparks and noise, which really meant wearing ear muffs and safety goggles.
After I got those taken care of, I could start sanding the trailer to remove the surface rust. It was probably the most satisfying part of the weekend.
After a Saturday and half a Sunday of sanding, Kara came over and we took a break, baked, and started painting the wheel wells.
After that, I called it a day. Next weekend I will be out of town, so I probably won't get anything done until the week after. I wish I didn't have to stop!