The big thing that has happened over the past month is getting new tires on the trailer. It was painful to spend $480 on it, but it also puts your mind at ease knowing you won't have to get at those suckers for a loong time now. The rest of my projects were pretty much on hold until I got the tires back on. However on thing John and I did when the tires were off was reenforce and beef up the wheel well covers. If I am going to be building walls on top of them I want to at least put a few more bolts in there to make sure they are really attached and sturdy. The passenger side might need a little extra something still but we'll see when we start building.
After the tires were on, I leveled the trailer and took a real measurement of how far off the ground the house will be sitting. When I designed the house I planned on a trailer height around two feet and left 11'1" for the height of the house. Two weeks ago when I was framing everything up in SketchUp(I'd rather make mistakes there and figure it out instead of doing it with wood that costs money) I ran into a huge problem. My door, or any door for that matter, would be too tall for the walls of the house. Sure I had some options, like move the door to the end of the trailer, or make the walls higher and the roof pitch less, but none of those were really appealing. To stop my panicking I decided I'd just not think about it until we had the wheels on and I could take a measurement and pray I'd find the extra few inches I needed there. In the words of Professor Farnsworth, good news everybody! It turns out the trailer is 18 3/4" off the ground and I actually have an extra 10" of wall height if I need it(and I do). So now the door will fit and the extra 10" is going to translate to that much extra headroom in the loft, which rocks.
Then, yesterday I FINALLY called a cop to come do a VIN inspection so I could get the trailer registered. I told myself after I got this done could start with flashing the floor. I held off because I'd hate to cover something up the cop needed to see. Turns out I needed to go back to the DMV to buy a VIN number, stamp/etch it in, and then have the cop come back and he'd visually verify I put the VIN on the trailer. So I didn't really get anything done with that visit but he did say my trailer is the nicest homemade trailer he's seen, usually he sees stuff that isn't even road worthy, so that was a nice compliment. I also found out that I can start putting the flashing on because I just need to stamp the number up front on the driver's side of the tongue. So I started flashing today!
Flashing is super exciting for me because this is the first real thing I've done to build the house. All the stuff with the trailer was just prep work and my flooring project and door restoration were just projects to keep me busy this school year. But the flashing, NOW I'm building. I thought this would be a fun and easy part, but a day and many swear words later I found out it had a learning curve(like everything in life). The project started out wonderfully two weeks ago when I picked up the flashing from Home Depot and dropped it on my toe loading it into the car, thus breaking it. It's been getting better and I've just been "walking it off" because I know there's really nothing anyone can do about a broken pinky toe. I also picked up some self tapping metal screws to attach the flashing to the trailer. Now most people use staples or nails to do this, but because I don't have a nice, level wood deck to attach thins to like others, I need metal screws to attach the flashing right to the trailer frame. The package said "self tapping" and they had a pretty nice tip to them, but the metal was too thick and I had to predrill nearly all the holes before I could carefully nudge the screws in. If I wasn't careful, the heads would break off and I'd have to start all over again.
And for those of you who don't obsessively follow Tinyhouse building blogs and don't really know what order I'm going in right now and what the heck is up next here's a little run down:
1) Most people start with their trailer already wired, braked, titled, registered and ready to go(unlike me). So flashing like this is usually the first step: